Reply to topic

Fish freezing for longevity

3 post(s), 2 voice(s)
Fishnut
Small
Post(s):7,208

I just wanted to share that at one time Gordon and I were discussing seafood freezing and longevity. Gordon had mentioned that he had read or seen something about halibut should be kept at -10 or -15 degrees Fahrenheit for best quality. I had seen a TV show about storing meats and fish. One particular item was bluefin tuna for Shashimi or sushi. They showed by freezing bluefin at -30 degrees F, your could not tell if the tuna was fresh or frozen at even 3 years old.

I had some problems with my large upright garage freezer coming open about 4 or 5 times and only noticing it when there was a trickle of water or the alarm went off. The alarm went off when it hit a certain temperature. By then a large percentage of meat and fish were already ruined each time. I used a big strap of Velcro to keep it from opening and it did not do it again. But I had no confidence in the freezer. I had checked to make sure that none of the shelves or anything had been interfering with the door. Could not see anything and was not sure if the kids came by and looked in there? Highly unlikely. I gave the freezer to a club member telling him of my problems up front and he said to this date no problems.

We went to Sears and bought a new garage fridge (when we had the house built my contractor talked me into a 23 cf fridge in the house that i wished I would not had agreed to). So we found the garage fridge on sale and saw the Kenmore elite freezer 20.5 CF. This freezer freezes down to -20F. I have been very impressed with this freezer. None of the halibut or bottomfish turn that yellowish when they get older. Always bright white. No frost build up and a ton of LED lights. I really like this freezer and it has a monitor display on the front that shows the inside temperature. It is always -20. I used one of my digital laser thermometers and it is a true-20. When you go out and get meat or fish out of the freezer your hand hurts by the time you get back to the kitchen!

I am thinking about getting another one for my bait and overflow. My bait freezer is a chest freezer and builds up frost on everything.

The freezer that I replaced, halibut would turn a yellowish color at about a year. Proper sealing is a must with the vacuum sealer.

Here is a link to the freezer if anyone is getting ready to buy one. Stainless is $100 more but I didnt need this for my garage. http://www.sears.com/kenmore-21-cu-ft-upright-f...

liltrouble
Small
Post(s):197

I have noticed that if I load the door too much or have too much weight in the door, then a gnat can fart and the door opens on it’s own.

Just went out to get ice cream in my -10 degree freezer and realized it was dumb putting ice cream in a freezer that cold and went to put it in the other freezer and stuff in there was a little “warm” and only at 16 degrees. I realized that in digging into that freezer I had put some stuff in the door that was heavy and hadn’t placed it back on shelves. I have a temp sensor in there for my weather station and can monitor the temperatures from a couple of places in the house and it has gone down to zero after a couple of hours.

So if you overload the door, or the balance is off, it can cause the door to come open or not seal as tight. I have adjusted the leveling feet on the front up a little to make sure that the doors close if I forget. Not that it has happened before….(sic)

Fishnut
Small
Post(s):7,208

I dont know if I mentioned it but it is well lit with LED lighting and it does not frost up. I cant tell you how impressed I am with it.